for solo violin
- i. The Big 5-0 (2 minutes)
- ii. Basement Art Guru (3 minutes)
- iii. 2+5 <> 6 (4 minutes)
- iv. Repetepetition (2.5 minutes)
Each movement may be performed individually.
The Big 5-0 (live performance by Alex Wood (2011):
Excerpt from 2+5<> 6:
Excerpt from Repetepetition:
Programme NotesBasement Art Guru and other pieces
- is a series of short compositional etudes, each one exploring a particular facet of compositional techniques.
The Big 5-0
- was written in honour of the 50th birthday of Fr. Arthur Ernest Bridge, and uses only the note-names FAEB (i.e. from his name).
Basement Art Guru
- takes as a starting point a theme by Australian composer
- and rearranges it in different ways, much like an anagram rearranges letters in a word to form new words.
- is certainly a strange title for a composition. In this composition the intervals between simultaneous or consecutive note are limited to a minor second, a perfect fifth or a major sixth.
- takes as a starting point the process of repeating a section of material and either adding material to it or taking some away.
notes by Matthew Hindson.
CD Recording Available?
- Not at present.